Government has long recognized the importance of Research, Science and Technology as an engine of economic growth and development, hence the enactment of the Research Science and Technology Act, 2004 (Act no 23 of 2004). The objectives as outlined in section 2 of the Act are:
- to ensure the co-ordination, monitoring and supervision of research, science and technology in Namibia;
- to promote and develop research, science and technology in Namibia;
- to promote common ground in research, scientific and technological thinking across all disciplines, including the physical, mathematical and life sciences, as well as human, social and economic sciences;
- to encourage and promote innovative and independent thinking and the optimum development of intellectual capacity of people in research, science and technology;
- to ensure dedicated, prioritised and systematic funding for research, science and technology application and development in Namibia;
- to promote linkages between Namibia and international institutions and bodies on the development of research, science and technology.
The National Commission on Research Science and Technology (NCRST) is established in terms of section 4 of Research Science and Technology Act, 2004 (Act no 23 of 2004).
Private Bag 13253